Our club began on New Year’s Day in 1928 with Vic Rushby being the first Instructor and Captain of the club. His first instructing task was the training of two bronze squads of 6 men.
The first club house was built by volunteers and in today’s view would be found in front of the palm tree situated in the car park.
The club’s next plan was to purchase a surf boat and to build a lookout tower for sharks.
The shark tower was built in March 1928.
The surf boat was the Kingfish and arrived by the steamer Uki in 1929. This boat rescued many people in Taree West during the 1929 flood.
Photo: The First Clubhouse (background) with W.Humphries, L.Badger, J.Cornish, J.McKinnon, T. Mudford, T.Smith
By the Beltman